By Executive Sous Chef Rohit Sangwan
The Crust :
- Place the butter in a mixer bowl with a paddle attachment & beat on a low speed until creamy.
- Add sugar, almonds, salt, vanilla & eggs while still working on a low speed.
- Once all blended, add the flour in 3 or 4 additions and mix only until the mixture comes together to form a soft, moist dough. Once done, chill the dough.
Lemon Cream :
- Put a saucepan of water over heat & bring the water to simmer.
- Place the sugar & lemon zest in a large bowl that can be fitted into the pan of simmering water.
- Off the heat, rub the sugar & zest between your fingers until the sugar is moist, grainy, aromatic.
- Whisk in the eggs & the lemon juice.
- Fit the bowl into the pan of simmering water and keep stirring with a whisk until the cream thickens.
- Once thickened, take the cream out in a bowl and let it come to room temperature.
- Beat the cream with an immersion blender and gradually add the pieces of butter blending them all in.
- Once all the butter has blended, beat the cream for another 3 to 4 minutes to ensure a perfectly light and smooth lemon cream.
- Unsalted butter, softened - 10 ounces
- Confectioner’s sugar, sifted - 1 ½ cups
- Ground blanched almonds - ½ cup
- Salt - ½ tsp
- Vanilla extract - ¼ tsp
- Eggs, lightly beaten - 02 No
- All purpose flour - 3 ½ cups
- Sugar - 1 cup
- Lemon zest - 3 lemons
- Eggs - 4 No
- Lemon juice, freshly squeezed - ¾ cup
- Unsalted butter - 5 tbsp